Why Do We Need Grammar?
We need to have some grammatical knowledge to be able to speak a language to some degree of proficiency and say what we really want to say.
Without grammar, words hang together without any real meaning or sense. By teaching grammar, we enable students to express themselves correctly.
Main Approaches to Teaching Grammar
Teaching grammar no longer means endless conjugation of verbs or grammar translation but we use two main approaches to dealing with grammatical rules nowadays: deductive and inductive approaches.
In the deductive approach, the teacher gives the rule first, and then language is produced based on this rule.
If the rule is inferred through some form of guided discovery, it is the inductive approach. In this case, the teacher gives the students the opportunity to discover the rule for themselves.
The former approach is more teacher-centered but the latter one is more learner-centered. Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Each Approach
In my own experience, the deductive approach is time-saving and allows more time for grammar practice. So, it is more effective for lower-level students.
The inductive approach, on the other hand, is often more beneficial to students who already have a base in the language as it encourages them to work things out for themselves based on their existing knowledge.
There are more advantages and disadvantages of each approach. In addition, there are more techniques for grammar presentation and practice.
Questions to Ask Before Deciding on How to Teach Grammar
In general, when teaching grammar, there are several questions you need to ask before deciding on how to teach grammar. The following are some of them:
- When and how can I use deductive and inductive approaches?
- What are the features of the other techniques of presenting grammar?
- Which factors that contribute to successful language practice?
- What are the main types of grammar practice?
- How can I create a typical grammar lesson plan?
- How can I make the grammar lesson fun, meaningful, and memorable?
Teacher’s Guide to Teaching Grammar – FREE 5-Day Email Course
It’s a professional development course that I’ve created for grammar teachers to help them answer the above-mentioned questions and feel more comfortable and confident in teaching grammar.
At the End of This Course, You Will Be Able To:
- Create a typical grammar lesson plan.
- Recognize the features of two main approaches to teaching grammar.
- Apply different techniques for presenting grammar.
- Identify the factors that contribute to successful language practice.
- Recognize the features of the two main types of grammar practice.
- Apply some activities for grammar practice.
- Teach grammar using the PPP model.
- Follow some suggestions for teaching grammar successfully.
Want to get this course for FREE?
P.S. By subscribing to my mailing list, you agree to receive regular notifications from me of the latest updates on my blog.
Thanks For Reading
Liked This TEFL Course?
Share It With Your Networks.