If you are one of EFL teachers who are interested in teaching English abroad and considering taking an online or offline TEFL certified course, continue reading this post.
This post covers everything you need to know about the basics of getting a TEFL certified course to teach English abroad & online.
What is a TEFL Course?
“TEFL” is the acronym for Teaching English as a Foreign Language, or simply, English language instruction for non-native speakers.
Obtaining a TEFL certificate is the starting point for most people when they plan to teach English as a foreign language, either abroad, in their own home country, or online.
These certification courses can be completed in one to three months. They are open to anyone with a good command of English and an interest in teaching.
TEFL certification courses often focus on practical application, such as how to teach the four language skills in the classroom and how to design lesson plans.
When you finish a TEFL certification course, you are qualified for a TEFL job at any school.
Two Main Forms Of TEFL Courses
In-Person Or Onsite TEFL Courses
- These courses offer hands-on training, either in your home country or in the country where you’re interested in teaching.
- Tend to last between three and four weeks.
- Often have structured class days.
- Filled with lectures, classroom observations, and real teaching opportunities.
- Are more expensive since you’ll have to consider flights, lodging, and living expenses
Online TEFL Courses
- These programs are fully digital
- You complete the material at a time that’s right for you.
- You won’t have to travel very far to get certified since you can work on the course, complete it and get certified from the comfort of your home.
- Because they take place online, these types of courses tend to be less expensive than onsite TEFL courses.
- They are preferable for those who want to get certified while balancing a busy schedule.
What Will You Learn in The TEFL Course?
TEFL courses generally cover the following topics:
- The basics of teaching theories, strategies and methodology.
- How to create lesson plans for different kinds of skills such as speaking, listening, reading, grammar, and writing.
- Classroom management techniques.
- How to create effective teaching resources, aids, activities, and assessments.
During the course, you will also make connections with some aspiring teachers who are always ready to help and develop you professionally.
What Jobs Can You Get With a TEFL Certification?
Getting TEFL certified will help you qualify for online teaching jobs and traditional classroom teaching positions. Around the world, accredited TEFL certifications are a necessary requirement for many employers.
Once you’ve completed your TEFL course, you will feel more confident when you begin your EFL teaching career and your application will look much more desirable to future employers.
So, getting a TEFL course is what you need to take if you want to:
- Start teaching English online
- Apply to teach EFL in a traditional classroom abroad
- Offer freelance services as an online EFL/ESL instructor
- Volunteer as an English language educator
What Are Some Tips For Choosing a TEFL Course?
The best thing you could possibly do when choosing a TEFL course is to spend as much time as possible researching and comparing TEFL courses.
- See which options provide online versus on-site classes (or some combination of the two).
- Make a list of each option’s cost.
- Consider how long each course lasts (one month? two? Three) and whether or not the dates fit with your schedule.
To Get started, Compare TEFL Courses at ITA (International TEFL Academy)
ITA (International TEFL Academy) is one of the world’s largest TEFL certification institutions for you to become professionally trained as an English teacher.
Take Accreditation Seriously
This is something many people often take for granted when pursuing any sort of degree or certificate in TEFL; however, checking out the institution or academy’s accreditation is essential.
So, follow up by researching the accreditation of ITA’s TEFL Certification Courses to see that it’s legitimate and favourably regarded in the education community.
International TEFL Academy (ITA) trains more than 6,000 English teachers annually and offers internationally accredited TEFL-TESOL certification courses online and in 25 locations around the world.
Reach Them Out & Ask Questions.
Don’t be afraid to contact ITA and ask them any question in your mind to realize that they are in charge of your course as well as committed to you.
They are always willing to take the time to provide support and answer your questions beforehand.
For more information about TEFL certification and teaching English abroad, please visit their site: International TEFL Academy (ITA) to receive a FREE guide now.
Whichever TEFL course you decide to enrol in is going to be an important part of your life for the next year or two. So, you should definitely consider a good feeling about it from the very beginning!